Day 1: Soylent Experiment… I might die

If you haven’t heard of Soylent, don’t worry. It’s not very complicated. It was developed by a couple of guys in Silicon Valley, looking for a way to make eating easier. The product was aptly named in homage to Harry Harrison’s 1966 science fiction novel Make Room! Make Room!, which explores the impact massive population growth could have on world resources. These two guys saw a need for a way to gain sustainance while at the same time, making time in the day for other things, like founding profitable start-ups.

Initial SupplySo here I am, a 32 year old father of two with barely an ounce of energy to spare. Fast food was becoming my go-to with zero time spent at the gym. I have to do something. Is Soylent the answer? Replace food with a scientifically engineered Soy-based drink? I’m done.

Day one is officially in the books, and I have to say, I’m pleasantly surprised. This morning was a little rough. I had the Soylent Cafe Coffiest for breakfast. After drinking RedBull every morning for months on end, anything is going to taste bland. This was no exception. The coffee taste is a lot more subtle than I had hoped or expected, but my gag reflex didn’t kick in, so that was a plus. My body seemed to enjoy filling “full” rather than hyped up on RedBull gasoline. That was at 8:30. However, I definitely felt the effects once 12:00 came around. I was pretty really effing hungry.

To my pleasant surprise, the Soylent Cacao I had for lunch was superb! It was a sweet release from the tummy gurgles I was experiencing and tasted just like chocolate milk. I didn’t think one was going to be enough and with 6+ hours to go until real dinner, I was really worried. But, within 15 minutes, those crazy-hungry thoughts disappeared and I was fine. I honestly felt a little sharper focus and a lot less feeling of the normal RedBull crashes I felt around 1:00.

Dinner was at 6:30 and was definitely worth it. Salmon with asparagus and mushrooms. Thank you, sweet baby Jesus.

All-in-all, Day 1 wasn’t half as bad as I thought it was going to be. Except for the few minor panic attacks and hesitations by the cookie/coffee bar at work, I think it went as well as it could have gone. Now, off the bed and on to Day 2! I’ll keep you all updated!

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s